Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
If water damage strikes your home or business, from roof leak to flood the basement. You may want to start working before help arrives. There are some tips and tricks you can take to ensure that, in the case of a disaster you are safe and prepared.
- Always make sure the house or business is safe for when help arrives.
- Be sure there are no electrical or slips or fall hazards in the household.
- Do activities that are safe for you.
- Items in the affected area can be heavy when wet. Move with caution.
- Any items that are not affected sure be moved to a safe and dry area.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (630) 771-1720
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.